Monday, March 28, 2011

The charm that was..............

I saw a mallu movie a couple of days back, a new mallu movie that is. An hour into the movie and I regretted the time spent. Make no mistake, the movie starred one of my favorite or rather my most favorite actor Mohanlal. But I just couldn't fathom the fact that an actor of his caliber can be in a role like this.

I remember what can now be termed as the glory days of Malayalam cinema, the 90's. This was the time when every department was at its best. The stories were something you could relate to, the music was soulful and the directors were the cream of Indian cinema. Many of the stories from that era are now turning into bollywood movies. The actors including the above mentioned hero stole the show with performances that only few of his peers could match. But now it looks like the Australian cricket team, the only difference been that the players in the cricket team retired while in the Malayalam industry the actors are pushing the limits of old age and not playing roles suited for their age.

It's gonna take some time before I can sit for another mallu movie. Call me a prude but I don't think the present stories have anything to do with life in Kerala or any Mallus around the globe. I am not a film critic but as a Malayalam speaking individual I believe I have the right to question the cinema I watch.

I don't know if the glory days are gonna come back ever. But all I hope is that they don't keep churning out crap for the sake of movie making!!!

2 comments:

  1. I bet u watched Christy n Brothers..... ROFL...totally agree with u :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah........ that was the movie........... wat a waste of time.......

    ReplyDelete